Friday, January 25, 2013

A Corner in the Living Room


 For a while now I've been gradually working on a corner in our living room.  You may remember the shelves we recently hung to give some structure to a large bare wall.  Adjacent to the wall with the shelves was yet another space I needed to fill. 

 Our living room updates have included a new ceiling, new trim, new ceiling light fixture, new drapery and fresh paint.  I've tried to keep the rest of the updates minimal and inexpensive.  With that in mind, I needed to make our existing furniture work.  After finding a furniture arrangement that I liked, I brought our originally black console table over to this wall.

BEFORE:


 I knew the right piece to hang above the table would be a mirror, so I took a trip to our local antique mall to take a look.  I found this mirror for $20.  It was heavy, obviously old with a solid wood frame and back.  I knew I would have to paint the frame so that it stood out against the wood walls, but after thinking about it for a few days, I realized it would be perfect and went back to buy it. 


 I first painted a light coat of BM Titanium (the same gray I used for the shelves), then a light coat of Annie Sloan Chalk Paint Coco, lightly sanded and finished with clear ASCP wax.  I was so pleased with how it turned out and was thrilled that my husband had to agree (especially since he tried to talk me out of buying it - smile).  

BEFORE:


The following week I went to work on our generic console table, which we purchased as newlyweds.


 The truth is... I painted too many coats on this piece to count.  I just could not get it to look right!  Finally I ended up painting BM Titanium over ASCP Coco, and finished with both ASCP dark wax and ASCP clear wax. 


 The neutral colors really pop against the wood walls and hopefully help to create a look that is soothing and cohesive.  You may have heard me mention before that the wood walls are original to our home... as hard as it has been for me to decorate this room, I really wanted to try and embrace that rustic element.


 Originally I had planned on buying a couple lamps to set on either side of the mirror, but Justus had the suggestion of buying oil lamps, and I was instantly smitten with the idea.  In our old house, we don't have many outlets and it's also nice to have a source of light when the power goes out.  I bought these nearly identical lamps at our local antique store.  All we had to do was add lamp oil - fun!


 Slowly the corner was coming together.  Then last week my dad came over and brought me some antlers he had found on their farm.  I knew immediately they would complete the look I was going for and hung them above the mirror. 


 In actuality, our sofa sits in front of the console table.  We've had this red sofa for nearly nine years (another newlywed purchase) and will likely have it for another nine (smile), so that was certainly another reason for opting to keep the background decor simple and neutral.  

Sometimes I feel like there is still so much to be done in our home, but tonight when I happened across "before" photos of our living room and our entire house, it was so rewarding to see that we actually have accomplished a lot.  Yes, there are still many improvements that need to be made, but I feel like I need to be more thankful for what we do have and recognize that it doesn't all happen overnight.  

With that being said, we're looking forward to starting on some outdoor projects tomorrow we hope to accomplish before spring, and one of those is a chicken coop!  Today was rainy and overcast (hence the bad photos), but if we see sunny skies, we'll be getting started.  

Hope you have a wonderful weekend!

Sharing at Miss Mustard Seed

42 comments:

  1. I love it. It looks perfect. I also love that you are working to keep the original wood. While I love the white planked walls look, it's nice to have someone brave enough to go against the flow and embrace the beauty of natural wood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an elegant touch to your corner!.the color just pops! Love it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing like the romantic glow an oil lamp gives. We converted ours years ago to electric and I miss them so much. I am so glad that you kept the original wood walls in this room. I've never seen another like it, and you have somehow brought your own unique look to the room keeping them and very carefully adding in your own design. You have been smart to take your time and wait on what you love. Great job on the console. And I'm very partial to red sofas!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I luv it! What a beautiful corner. The white table against the wood walls... the oil lamps. (I have 2 just like them)I bought a converter kit to transform them to electric... but I prefer the look of the oil and the wick.
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete
  5. It may have taken a few tries to get the console table right but it sure looks great now! The whole corner of the room is full of interest and design surprises. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This corner looks really lovely. I love that the antlers come from your dad's farm. Personal pieces like that are what make a house home for me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those wood walls are really growing on me... they have such a rustic beauty. I think my first instinct would also have been 'paint' but I love that you were patient enough to give them a chance... they're lovely. :)

    I think you have accomplished an amazing amount of change in your home - especially with two little ones!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That wall has come together nicely. I like oil lamps and have a favorite that sits on a small table. We were once without electricity for 9 days...oil lamps can sure come in handy.
    Farmhouse hugs,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your table and mirror look great, Andrea! I actually love your walls and your red sofa. It all goes together very nicely. You should be proud of all that you have done ~ it is easy to get overwhelmed and forget how much you have accomplished. I think you and hubby have done a wonderful job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your newly paired tabled and mirror as well as the oil lamps and found deer antlers make a beautiful vignette. I have always loved the glow of oil lamps and the smell of the burning oil too. You all did a wonderful job! Have a blessed weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great makeovers...this is a beautiful room!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Everything looks lovely Andrea! I love how the ASCP made the black console look antique and it pairs perfectly with the mirror. I also really like the gray paint color for the shelves, they all tie together so nicely. You and your Husband have accomplished so much and you are an inspiration to so many, including me. I always have some little project going on whether big or small and get so much joy from it. Poor Hubby :) We just finished painting our kitchen BM Simply White and I absolutely love it! We have a 1950's home with lots of charm and I feel we have brought it back to life with love and lots of hard work. I also have to remind myself of how much we've accomplished and to take one thing at a time patiently.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We used BM Simply White in our kitchen too! Do you have photos of your kitchen? It sounds beautiful!

      Delete
  13. Looks good!

    p.s. I love your wood floors :)

    -Angie

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have transformed your little corner into a wonderful treat for the eyes worthy of a magazine layout! I discovered your blog through Lee's Hideaway sidebar, and I have enjoyed all the posts that I have read so far.


    "Keeping It Cozy" fits your style, and I LOVE cozy.

    I have also peeked at your mom's blog. That woman is amazing! I can't wait to see their finished home.



    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very pretty, love the way it is all put together. And that red couch looks very cozy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The table, mirror and all of your accessories look sooooooo pretty. Perfect corner. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  17. This corner just screams your style. I adore it. The fact that you stuck to it until you "got it right" is awesome. I have one of those oil lamps in my basement. I just may have to hunt it down and clean it up. :o) Enjoy your weekend and I so hope you get outside!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I applaud you, for all the re-doing and re-painting you do. As one who doesn't have the patience to even try what you do, I envy you. :-) And what great results, you end up with.

    "Auntie"

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your use of oil lamps instead of sconces or regular lamps- how perfect!! Love the neutral colors against the wood walls too!

    ReplyDelete
  20. We may daydream about one day buying farmhouses on The Junk Drunk, but Keeping It Cozy is where we can fantasize about decorating them.
    http://thejunkdrunk.wordpress.com/2013/01/25/farmhouse-friday/

    ReplyDelete
  21. Andrea, your touches are lovely. I love how the little table looks and the lamps. So sweet.
    Lisa
    leeshideaway.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just the right touches. The antlers top your corner off beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  23. It looks wonderful! You seem to know how to add just the right elements to suit that house. I love the rustic feel to it all. I don't have many outlets in my house either. I had to stop using the electric can opener, as for some reason it would blow the fuses!
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  24. What is so inspiring about blogs such as yours is that we get to anticipate your house projects. So, yes, although it's challenging, enjoy the process. You are doing an amazing job! It's also refreshing and inspiring to see someone decorate by not throwing out perfectly good cabinets, painting over beautiful and rare wood walls, or tearing out walls to make a great room. It's this "use what you have and make it beautiful" aspect of your blog that I really love. (Oh, and your photos are beautiful, especially of your children.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That means so much to both my husband and I! Thank you.

      Delete
  25. It has been so fun to see your house come together a corner at a time. This corner is beautiful and complete! It made me smile to know you paint things several times until it looks right. I can't tell you how many time I've done the same thing.

    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  26. What a wonderful group of changes and updates. Loved reading your post, and I am inspired by your table/mirror/lamps/etc corner.
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
  27. This little corner looks perfect, so well put together. I love the oil lamps and you did a gorgeous job on the sofa table. Your red sofa makes it all look so warm and cozy!

    XO,
    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  28. I love it all! Especially the mirror and table styling!

    ReplyDelete
  29. There are those who would pay for the walls you have! They are stunning. Love the paint job, everything looks wonderful.
    Nancy
    http://wildoakdesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  30. What an amazing transformation! I love the antlers!!!! You have done sooo much to your home, you guys should be proud of all of your HARD work, it is such a beautful reflection of your family! Jen

    ReplyDelete
  31. I like how you've lightened up that corner of your living room. It looks great, especially with your finishing touch, the antlers. Love the idea of the oil lanterns too.
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  32. It looks lovely in that corner. You and your husband seem to be doing so much, while keeping your eyes on a real budget! I love a good DIY story.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Your corner is wonderful. Love the mirror choice with the antlers above it. The table looks great and your hubby's idea was perfect about the lanterns. I said before that y'all make a great team and I meant it!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Perfect corner, the antlers finish if off! Love your couch, red is my favorite color...it's everywhere in my home.
    Have fun cleaning the coop (if you can ;)
    Blessings,
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  35. love your cozy corner, andrea--and the sofa!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Just another beautiful "corner" you created...just perfect...and a grest idea about using the oil lamps instead...fantastic job!!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign