Friday, August 9, 2013

Reader Recipe Feature: Chicken and Dumplings


 I want to say thank you so much to everyone who submitted a recipe!  I can't tell you how much I have enjoyed reading your recipes and learning a little more about you... not to mention that I want to try every single one, because they all sound wonderful! 

The first recipe I tried was Mrs. H.'s Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings submitted by Laurie, who writes a blog called Heritage Schoolhouse. Laurie mentioned that this is her original recipe she developed, similar to the one she grew up with, but with more seasoning and homemade dumplings.  I love that she said it reminds her of her childhood.  Aren't those the best recipes?! 


I've actually made this recipe twice now, and it is so delicious. Today it was rainy and dreary and this just sounded like the perfect comfort food.  We were actually upstairs working on a project when I realized it was 5:00, everyone was hungry and I hadn't even thought about dinner other than setting out some chicken to thaw.  This dish is easy and quick and also uses ingredients that one would commonly have in their fridge and pantry. 



Mrs. H.'s Old Fashioned Chicken and Dumplings
 (Submitted by Heritage Schoolhouse)
4 servings

4 tablespoons butter, divided
2 tablespoons oil, divided
1/2 cup flour
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1/2 onion, chopped
1 carrot, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 clove garlic, diced
4 cups chicken broth
1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon corn starch
1 1/4 cups half and half, divided
1 cup flour
1/2 tablespoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter in a large skillet.  Add 1 tablespoon oil.  Coat chicken breasts in flour and then brown each piece on both sides in skillet; set aside.  In a large sauce pan melt the other 2 tablespoons of butter.  Add the other tablespoon of oil.  Saute onion, carrots, celery and garlic until tender.  Add broth, poultry seasoning, salt and pepper to saucepan.  Bring to a boil, add chicken and cook until chicken is done.  Remove chicken and shred with two forks; set aside.  Stir cornstarch into a bit of water and then add to saucepan.  Cook and stir for one minute until thickened.  Add 1/2 cup half and half to saucepan and stir.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, and salt.  Add 3/4 cup half and half and mix until dough forms.  Drop dough by spoonfuls into simmering chicken broth and let cook for several minutes.  Add chicken back to pan, spoon up hearty bowlfuls and enjoy! 



Thank you so much, Laurie, for sharing your recipe with us!  It is delicious, warm and comforting and has gone into my file of keeper recipes!  

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend.

P.S.  If you are interested in submitting a recipe to be featured, you can read more here

7 comments:

  1. Oh- That looks so good. I need to give this a try-something a bit different with chicken for once- xo Diana

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUMMMM! Looks fabulous! When fall comes I always look forward to getting out my red Le Creuset soup pot and making some comfort food. This looks like a must try!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sure would like to have some of that!! Looks so pretty too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, that looks and sounds delicious!!

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks delicious! This post makes me even more excited for fall!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks and sounds so yummy.. easy, too! Thank you for sharing.

    I went back and checked out your original (calling recipes) post and wow! how did I miss that?? I have no idea.. but, you may be hearing from me in the future.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks so much for sharing this recipe! I made this last night and it was awesome! And very easy!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign