Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Taco Salad Recipe


 This recipe is really more like a meal suggestion.  It can be tweaked all kinds of ways and will still taste delicious.  I make this all the time, because it's so easy and quick.  It's perfect for Saturday lunch or a weeknight supper when life is hectic. 


 Most of the ingredients you likely already have on hand and you can add/take-away/substitute in a variety of ways that suit you and your family.  Here are the ingredients I used this weekend when I took photos:

Ingredients
1 lb ground beef
1 can pinto beans
cumin
minced garlic
salt
pepper 
frozen corn
lettuce
cherry tomatoes
olives
avocado
sour cream
salsa
tortilla chips



 We are very fortunate that we have access to a freezer full of grass fed, pasture raised beef, thanks to the cows my parents raise, but chicken would also be delicious.  I prefer to add the corn and beans to the beef so that the salad has a nice warm topping. And while I love a pot of beans made from scratch, nothing beats using a can every now and then when you're in a hurry! 

Beef/Beans/Corn Mixture
1 lb ground beef
1/2 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1 can pinto beans
1 cup frozen or fresh corn

Begin by heating a skillet over medium-high heat and cooking the ground beef, garlic, cumin, salt and pepper until the beef is no longer pink.  Drain the fat from the beef and return to skillet.  Drain and rinse the can of pinto beans. Add the pinto beans and corn to the beef, stirring for a few minutes until thoroughly heated, and then remove from heat.  I usually add another few grinds of salt at this point too.



Salad
lettuce
black olives
cherry tomatoes
avocado 

Meanwhile, chop your salad ingredients.  Our tomatoes in the garden are just about finished - I will miss them so much!  Other ideas for ingredients that would be delicious to add: cilantro, green onions, shredded cheese, red onion. 


 Salad Dressing
sour cream
salsa

When I first threw this salad together, I made a dressing that had several ingredients.  One day when I was really in a hurry, I combined just these two ingredients and could hardly tell a difference.  Since then, that's all I use.  I don't measure - I just eyeball equal amounts of each.  Every now and then I'll even eliminate the sour cream and just use salsa.  But only for me... the rest of my family would not be happy!  ;-) 


When serving the salad, I also include a bowl full of tortilla chips.  We usually crush a few of them and mix in with the salad in our bowls.


 Add a base of salad, the meat topping, a little salad dressing, a few chips and you're good to go.  This is a delicious, simple, quick meal that's also very filling!  My girls absolutely love it when I make this salad... our youngest daughter, Rosetta, always says, "SO yummy!"   


P.S.  This also makes great leftovers.  I place the salad and meat topping in the same bowl, but on separate sides and put the salad dressing in a different container. 

Hope you enjoy! 

13 comments:

  1. Sounds great. Nice sale to make when you can use things from the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks yummy, I will have to try this. Love your photo's!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks- this looks easy, simple, and so delicious. I have all those ingredients on hand- will make tonight. Please keep your recipes coming- I very much appreciate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How funny, this is almost the exact same recipe I make for my family -- cherry tomatoes and all! The only real difference is that I add a tbs. of homemade Ranch dressing mix to the salsa/sour cream combo. Delicious!! Isn't great to have a recipe that the whole family will actually eat? (Minus the lettuce for my girls. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks so delicious! We haven't had something like this in forever. I think I will add to my meal plan for next week. Thanks for the suggestion.

    Heather @ GreenWay Home

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this tonight, and everyone declared it delicious!!! It was quick and easy and I especially loved the olives (first time trying them). You and your Mom should really write a cookbook together. Thanks for sharing your great recipes :) Deni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you liked it! That just makes my day. ;-)

      Delete
  7. My family loved this- thanks for sharing. Please share more healthy and quick recipes- so helpful

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear your family enjoyed the salad! I took some photos of a really easy, healthy meal last week so I'll try to post it this week. :-)

      Delete
  8. We have lots of hearty salads for dinner and I always forget about making a Taco salad...looks wonderful !! We try to eat grass fed beef whenever possible too....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Going to make this..thanks for the recipe! Do you still make the chicken in a crock pot? If so do you use your chicken later to make homemade broth? Love the recipes you post!
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Patty - I haven't made the crock pot chicken in a long time, but it sure sounds good, so it may be on the menu next week. ;-) No, if I recall right, I just added some water to the rich juices in the crock pot from cooking the chicken and used that as the broth. Hope you like the taco salad!

      Delete
  10. This is the perfect blog for anyone who wants to know about Taco Salad Recipe. The images you have posted really amazing. I found so much entertaining stuff in your blog.
    http://www.sonomafarm.com/

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign