Sunday, September 20, 2015

Kitchen Scenes


 This week when I should have been packing, doing laundry, or any of the many more important things on my to-do list, you could find me in my kitchen... organizing shelves and cabinets.  I called Justus at work and asked if there was something wrong with me, that every time I know I have to leave our home for a few days, I go into nesting mode.  It's not that I don't enjoy going away for a few days, because I do, but there's nothing quite like home, is there? 

 

Our home is so imperfect on so many levels.  There are what seems like a never-ending list of things that need to be done to improve this little place of ours, and there are days I wouldn't mind moving to a brand new house where I didn't have to think about painting, or tearing down wallpaper (and to think those are just the easy things on the list) .  And yet... I love this old house.  And whenever I need a little grounding, I just come into my kitchen, the heart of our home, where the light floods the room in abundance.  I wash dishes, I cook, I organize a shelf or two, and I realize I have so, so much to be thankful for.  It doesn't take long for everything to be put into perspective once again.  
 


 I think one of the best things about having a small kitchen it that it has forced me to only keep those items that are most useful and most loved.  I never come home with anything for my kitchen that I haven't already thought through in my head where its home will be.  My house truly isn't the most organized, but I do like to keep the kitchen very tidy, and have a particular place for every item.  This helps so much when it comes to putting meals on each day, from food prep to grocery shopping to doing the dishes.   





 We have a little hidden storage, which I use for those items I don't find as pretty to display, like pots, pans, storage containers, small appliances, and food items.  What I've discovered in the time that I've had open shelving, is that it is best to display items there that you use very frequently, otherwise they will get dusty and dirty.  Sometime I can show you how I store everything if you'd like, but the pictures may not be very pretty.  ;-)



 

I'm thankful for moments when I realize how lucky I am to have a refrigerator where sweet drawings are proudly displayed, and that I have a beautiful, perfectly imperfect kitchen where I can cook meals for my family. Don't you agree that the most beautiful homes are those that are well loved and well lived in?  Oh yes, much to be thankful for...

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful home! Thank you for not covering all of your pictures with pop up ads and videos. I found myself really taking my time and enjoying your vignettes. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing quite like home. I remember when we were first married... a teeny tiny rental. But still it was home. Fast forward to now....Now we go away, stay in posh hotels and B&B's, but always so happy to return to our modest home.
    Luv your beautiful home!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kitchen is the heart of the home. You said it elequently Andrea, Kathleen in Az

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love, your home... I love the white, and the shelves your hubby made for you... I just love the depth of the color and it just looks so homey... and beautiful, way better than a brand new home... Character speaks volume with your home... Enjoy it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Andrea your kitchen is so charming. I have a new home ~ it doesn't have the charm and character as your lovely home has. I love love being home..we went away for a couple days this weekend. I made sure our home was clean and in order. While at the little cabin, I could only think how I wish I was home. I love it here. Your little girls are very good artist...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the lovely little tour of your kitchen! I also like a white kitchen, white dishes, and open shelving. You live in and love your beautiful home, which comes through in your blog posts and is quite inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love that your kitchen is truly filled with such charm and grace and says that a beautiful family filled with love for each other lives here.....Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your kitchen! White just seems calming to me. Nothing better than the drawing and coloring pages on a fridge! The "nesting" well, it's either in you or not, and I am the same way so I truly can relate to that! It's like spring and fall cleaning! Have a great week.
    Patty

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your kitchen is cozy, charming, and looks much-loved. It's as if your great affection for each other and your house is stamped all over it. I love white too, and all my dishes/bowls/platters are white. White and wood is a combination I will never tire of. I truly enjoy your blog. Would love to see the new bathroom!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Totally agree. But your kitchen is lovely. xoxo
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your white kitchen combined with the rustic wood shelves and counters is so inviting. There is a warmth there that is so unique to an older home, your kitchen seems such a happy place!

    Esther

    ReplyDelete
  12. I always make sure my house is clean and "picked up" when we leave for vacation...it makes it so much nicer knowing my house is clean when I come back home. Yes, storage solutions in your small kitchen, please! I have a small kitchen and am always looking for ideas. Just wondering how you store things in the back left bottom cupboards by your sink.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always make sure my house is clean and "picked up" when we leave for vacation...it makes it so much nicer knowing my house is clean when I come back home. Yes, storage solutions in your small kitchen, please! I have a small kitchen and am always looking for ideas. Just wondering how you store things in the back left bottom cupboards by your sink.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your kitchen is so pretty...so happy I stopped in!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't have open shelving, but when you open my cabinets everything is stored in cute baskets or glass containers. When I need some stress-relieving time, I go "play" in my kitchen. It's the little things in life that truly make us happy!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Kitchens are the most important part of any house! For lots of reasons!
    P.S. I love your big white bowls!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very cozy, and I love the contrast to your planked ceilings, and walls with the darker shaker style woods up against it. That primitive stepback cabinet is a country sweet as they come in your cozy space. Love all the clean lines and rows of just what you need at hand with the pottery.

    See you soon dear, a kitchen to love, and I am sure it loves you right back.

    Xx
    Dore

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your daughters' drawings are the best! I can relate your need to nest before leaving on a trip. It is just so refreshing and welcoming to come home to a clean and organized home after a time a way. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

I always look forward to reading your comments... thank you for taking the time to leave one!

Copyright @ Keeping It Cozy. Blog Design by KotrynaBassDesign